Churches | North America
Mt. Carmel Baptist Church
Bishop Dr. Leroy Gilliard, Jr.
The Mount Carmel Baptist Church was born out of the desire to be a spiritual blessing to the community and its citizens. Her rich history began early in the year of 1950 under the leadership of Rev. P. C. Land and others who were members of the United Baptist Church in East Baltimore. The church was originally located at 963 North Washington St. Mother Evans was the first mother of the church, Deacon Moses Stone the first Chairman of the Deacons Board, and Deacon Travers the first Sunday School Superintendent. Several of the original members who were children are still members of Mt. Carmel and many more remained here until their death. The second pastor, Reverend Oscar Stancil, an educated son of a preacher, and his wife Blanche, provided dynamic leadership for the church for a period of 35 years. Under the pastorate of Reverend Stancil, membership grew from about 25 in 1952 to as many as 175 in later years. Also, many ministries were established.
With skilled leadership, Mount Carmel was able to relocate to 2230 Harford Road in 1969. This location, formerly a hardware store, was renovated, furnished, and a dinning area established. In 1987, Reverend Eratus Johnson became the third pastor of Mt. Carmel Baptist Church. Pastor Johnson was a soft spoken preacher, as was his wife Demerius (affectionately known as "Sister D-J"). Reverend Johnson helped paved the way for the next pastor by instructing the deacons and chairperson of the trustees, Sister Margaret Nathaniel, that if he should die, they were to select Rev. Leroy Gilliard as Mt. Carmel's next pastor. After the death of Pastor Eratus Johnson in September of 1989, in obedience and being led by the Spirit of God, the Church called Reverend Leroy Gilliard, Jr. as her fourth pastor. Rev. Gilliard, who was licensed and ordained at the New Friendship Baptist Church, was installed as Mt. Carmel's fourth pastor on Sunday March 18, 1990 at 2230 Harford Road.
Since Rev. Gilliard became pastor of Mt. Carmel, the church's membership has increased by over a thousand. There are now two morning worship services each Sunday. During Pastor Gilliard’s third year as pastor (1993), the church purchased their former edifice on at 212-16 East 25th street. This location provided space for more classrooms, offices and a much larger “cathedral-like” sanctuary. Over two-hundred thousand dollars of renovations were made to that edifice. Over the past twenty-four years, twenty ministers and evangelists have been licensed at Mt. Carmel to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Many of these ministers are now ordained and seven have served as pastors. Over twenty men have been ordained to the office of deacon under Pastor Gilliard's leadership. Also, many ministries have been established during Pastor Gilliard's tenure. The Bible Study Classes--Rev. Gilliard's favorite --have grown proportionately with the church's growth. The church's ministries is now international with the full support of an orphanage and school Liberia, West Africa.
In February of 2012, five churches in Maryland and five churches in Liberia selected Rev. Gilliard to become their Bishop. Bishop Gilliard was consecrated on November 24, 2013 at 4909 Harford Road. The church moved to its current location at 4909 Harford Road on the first Sunday in April, 2012, Palm Sunday. The new location afforded Mt. Carmel more sanctuary space, many more class rooms, a large banquet hall, and a large parking lot. God had really blessed Mt. Carmel down through the years. The church and her Bishop, are ever helping other churches in their effort to build the Kingdom of God.
Blessed Baptist Church of God
Pastor James Garrett
The Blessed Baptist Church of God was established on November 4, 1999 under the leadership of Pastor James Garrett. On the first Sunday of January of 2000, the first services were held. Some of the original members include, Sister Helen Sinkler, Annie Sinkler, and Sister Lady Verna Garrett. The original location of the church was in 2600 block of Greenmount Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland. The Blessed Baptist Church of God and Pastor James Garrett purchased a new edifice in the year of 2010 as they relocated to 2908 Hamilton Ave.
The Blessed Baptist Church of God, and continues to provide spiritual guidance and leadership to the congregation. During the past fourteen years, the church has worked with committed saints to continue the wonderful work of God. Blessed Baptist vision includes starting several new ministries within The Blessed Baptist Church of God. Since moving to the new location, many improvements have been made to the building, including new pews, updating the sound system and musical instruments. In February of 2012, Pastor Garrett and the Blessed Baptist Church joined the New Breeze International Fellowship of Christian Churches.
Christian Temple Baptist Church
Pastor Charles A. Goods
The Christian Temple Baptist Church, formerly, the Christian Temple Disciple of Christ Church, was founded by Reverend Rome B. Matthews. Rev. Matthews and his wife served Christian Temple for many years as Pastor and Co-pastor. In October of 2002, Rev. Charles Goods was called to pastor the Christian Temple Baptist Church, located at 2109 West North Avenue. Rev. Rome B. Matthews is the Pastor Emeritus.
The church has purchased a new van, licensed several ministers, ordained both ministers and deacons and started several new ministries. In addition, the church recently completed complete renovations of the sanctuary. The upstairs offices and classrooms were renovated early in Pastor Goods' tenure. The church also installed new central air condition system, a new baptism pool, and upgraded the sound system. The church has a summer camp program, coordinated by Sister Jeanie Hatchet. Sister Tangie Goods, the pastor's wife, leads the women's ministry. Christian Temple is known for its music ministry, one of the best in the city.
Under Rev. Goods’ leadership, the church membership has increased and numerous ministries have developed. He is currently in partnership with several community outreach organizations such as The Smallwood Community Association, The Johns Hopkins Hospital Medical Research Board, and New Beginnings at North Avenue and beyond. Rev. Goods also served as Chairman of Congress of Christian Education of the Maryland Baptist State Convention.
Greater New St. John Baptist Church
Pastor Letitia Bazemore
In the month of June 1952, fourteen people met at a home located at 1820 Ashland Avenue to consider the hopes and aspirations of the late Rev. Dr. J. Woodard Kelly Sr. for the purpose of organizing a Baptist church. Rev. Kelly carefully outlined the vision given him by the Holy Spirit. After discussing the subject, it was properly moved and seconded that they would proceed, under the leadership of Rev. Kelly, to organize a church. It was further agreed that the name of the new church would be Fellowship Baptist Church. Over the next few years God blessed the growth of the church enabling it to move to several new locations.
In 1959, a recognition council was held, the church was reorganized and the name was changed to The New Fellowship Baptist Church. At that time the church moved to 1055 North Milton Avenue at Chase Street. Later, in June of 1988, the church met again and voted to change its’ name to Greater New Saint John Baptist Church.
In January 2000, the trustee board offered a contract for the purchase of the building located at 1104-1108 North Wolfe Street. God continued to bless us and on February 25, 2000 settlement occurred. On Sunday, March 5, 2000 the Greater New Saint John congregation marched triumphantly into their new place of worship.
On Palm Sunday of 2003, the Greater New St. John family found themselves without a pastor. After prayerful consideration and under guidance of the Holy Spirit, Rev. Bazemore was appointed on Easter Sunday, April 2003 as Minister under the leadership of Overseer, Rev. Dr. Leroy Gilliard, Jr.
Under Rev. Bazemore’s leadership, Greater New Saint John began to grow in numbers, finances, and ministry. New ministries include the Lord’s Choir, a Male Chorus, a Youth Choir which mainly consist of children from the community, Youth Bible Class, Outdoor Services, and a Women’s Ministry.
Many of the challenges the Church faced on Easter Sunday 2003, have now been met. The building has been remodeled, including new carpet, office renovations, and upgrades to heating and ventilation systems. The mortgage has been retired and burned. A new church van was purchased. New fellowships and revivals have been established. To God Be the Glory. In 2016, the church purchased its current location at 6008 Harford road (picture above). This new location provided the church with a parking lot, nine class rooms, and many other amenities.
Greater New St. John is a church where everybody is somebody. It is known as “a church where love is preached and practiced. ”
Churches | Africa
First Mt. Carmel Baptist Church of Liberia
Pastor John Collins
This church was established prior to becoming a part of the New Breeze International Fellowship of Christian Churches. This church felt that by becoming a part of the New Breeze organization, God will take it to a higher level. Therefore, in November of 2012, Pastor Colllins and the members of the First Mt. Carmel Baptist Church of Liberia, joined under the Leader of Bishop Gilliard. First Mt. Carmel Baptist Church owns it building and some property. They are a fast growing church and is lead by Pastor Collins and his wife. The church is the longest established under the New Breeze Fellowship and Bishop Gilliard.
Second Mt. Carmel Baptist Church of Liberia
Pastor James D. Doe, Jr.
This church was established in 2012 near the airport because the people of this area had no way to get to other churches closer to the city.
The church, as the church in Clay, Bomi County did, grew out of the orphanage that was established by members of the Mount Carmel Baptist Church, Baltimore, Maryland. The children needed a place to worship and spiritual fellowship while they were attending the Leroy Gilliard Institute (school and orphanage).
Second Mt. Carmel Baptist Church is located a good distant off the main highway. As the church has grown over the past few years, their needs also grew. Initially, people would walk to this church along dirt roads. A motor cycle (bike) was purchased, but due to the rapid growth of the church, that means of transporting parishioners to the church was insufficient. The Mt. Carmel Baptist Church, Baltimore Maryland, under the leadership of the Bishop Gilliard, saw fir to purchase a new VAN (mini bus) for this church. Now, the church can transport of its parishioners to church on Sundays and to Wednesday and night Bible Study. The van is also used to transport individuals during the week. This helps to purchase gas and other needs for the church. the Other New Breeze churches in Liberia can also use the van if it is available. This church is growing very fast. Membership is increasing as people come from all over Liberia to hear the gospel message preached.
Third Mt. Carmel Baptist Church of Liberia
Mother Victoria Charkoo (appointed steward & mother, pastor in search)
This church is led by Evangelist Byo. It is located a rural section of Liberia, West Africa in the Boystown area. There is no other Baptist Church in the area. The church has been greatly helped by the New Breeze fellowship.
Fourth Mt. Carmel Baptist Church of Liberia
Mother Victoria Charkoo (appointed steward & mother, pastor in search)
The people from this area have been long awaiting a Baptist Church. Now, they have found one. For many years, individuals in this rural area could hear the gospel through the radio. After this church was established by the Mount Carmel Baptist Church in Maryland, people in this rural area are very happy.
Fifth Mt. Carmel Baptist Church of Liberia
Rev. James Weefar
Mother Doris M. Weefar (Church Mother)
In the early 1990’s, political factions caused a civil war broke out in West Africa’s Liberia. Several Governmental takeovers (Coos) did not make matters better. Ruthless soldiers stormed the streets of Monrovia, Liberia and the surrounding counties, including Clay. The end results of the uncontrollable, riotous actions of drug infested young men left over a hundred thousand men and women dead. Thus, thousands of children were left to roam the streets without parents or other families to care for them.
Some families with ties to Mt. Carmel Baptist Church (Maryland) residing in Liberia began to take in children and provide them with shelter. The means were minimal or non-existence. Food and shelter were scarce at best. However, these women, including Famatta Gordon and Doris Weefar, did their best along with other women and men to take in as many children as possible. After one war would settle down, another would soon start. During one of these wars, Sister Victoria Reuben (AKA, Victoria Charkoo-Miller), a member of Mt. Carmel was visiting her homeland in Monrovia, West Africa. She could not return home due to the war and began assisting others with the children. She saved many children and adult's lives by moving them from one county to another in attempts to avoid the fighting soldiers. Sister Reuben reminded us of a Harriet Tubman, as she safely carried many children to safety during the war in Liberia. After the fighting subsided, Sister Reuben returned to Baltimore, Maryland in the United States. However, she left the children in the care of Sister Famatta Gordon, Doris Weefar and other family members. The relocation of the children resulted in them being in two locations. One of the two locations was in Clay Town, Bomi County, Liberia. There, these women started Temas Memorial Children Welfare Center of Clay Town, Bomi County, Liberia. Eventually, a church would grow out of this school and orphanage.
Eventually, this church became the Fifth Mount Carmel Baptist Church under the New Breeze International Fellowship of Christian Churches, Bishop Gilliard, Presiding Prelate.